Skate Like a Girl is registered 501(c)(3) non-profit based in Seattle, WA.
We currently have three chapters: Seattle, WA (2006), Portland, OR (2007), and San Francisco, CA (2008).
Currently we are working on a year round program model that we can eventually take to our other chapters. We most recently received a grant from the Women’s Sports Foundation to run their Go Girl Go curriculum. We are excited to roll out new programs in partnership with the YMCA, public and private schools. If you are interested in getting an afterschool program started, please contact us.
Current programs include FREE drop-in Ladies Nights at our indoor parks in the area, and a Girls in Space, which is a family friendly clinic open to both genders.
- Kristin Ebeling, Seattle Programming Director
- Lisa Bunts, Seattle Volunteer Coordinator
- Gin Yang, Product Procurement Volunteer
- Maryama Jilo, Programming Volunteer
- Katie Killeen, Programming Volunteer
- Aly Richards, Programming Volunteer
- Jana Westover, Programming Volunteer
- Carrie Kincaid, Programming Volunteer
- Vanessa Hudson, Programming Volunteer
- Hollyanne Sarah Faber, Photographer
- James Starlin, Photographer/Videographer
- Marshall Stack Reid, Special Events Volunteer
Portland, Oregon has a strong skateboarding community, with legendary skateparks like Burnside helping to pave the way for more skateparks to be built by the City of Portland and surrounding cities.
Skate Like a Girl Portland was established in 2007 as a chapter by Jessie Haungs. Jessie had heard about Skate Like a Girl in Seattle and came to volunteer in the summer of 2007. She went away excited and proposed to expand Skate Like a Girl to Portland. So we did!
Since 2007 Jessie has established a strong relationship with the Department of Skateboarding where they have monthly girls only skate clinics, and a Tuesday girls session. The Portland girls skate scene is pretty bumping thanks to the skate community. She currently runs the chapter with Ashley Rehfeld, and other dedicated volunteers.
Check out some footage from clinics. This was made by Portland volunteer Veronica
- Jessie Haungs, Portland Programming Director
- Ashley Rehfeld, Skate Coach Volunteer
- Kristina Narayan, Skate Coach Volunteer
- Tuna Poanessa, Skate Coach Volunteer
- Tanya Herrera, Skate Coach Volunteer
- Sasha Madden, Skate Coach Volunteer
- Traci Green, Skate Coach Volunteer
- Heather Smith, Registration Volunteer
- Colyn Fernandez, Photographer
- Erika Star, Photographer
San Francisco Chapter
San Francisco is a hot spot for skateboarding, and in the past few years the San Francisco Skateboard Association and the skateboarding community has stepped it up to pressure the City to build more skateparks. Erica Harris came to us in Seattle the summer of 2008 to help out with camps, and events. She left determined to start San Francisco chapter of Skate Like a Girl, and so she did in the Fall of 2008.